Williamsport Area Computer Club
Newsletter & Meeting Minutes
Our next meeting will be held on Tuesday, November 9, 1999, at 7 PM, in Room B-309 of the Lycoming College Academic Center, Williamsport. Gary Hurley will demonstrate the BeOS, an alternative operating system.
Members please take note that we will be electing Club officers for 2000!
Our last meeting was called to order at 7:02 PM on October 12, 1999 by President John Yarosz. The minutes of September's meeting were approved. In Dan's absence, there was no treasurer's report. He did, however, submit a report of finances for the computer show.
Advertising / Awareness / Public Relations / Home Page:
Dylan is going to contact Ted Piower (apologies for any spelling errors!) at the Williamsport Area High School about promoting awareness of our Club to technology students.
Computer Recycling (finding charitable uses for old computers):
Robert reported that were given some monitors by a local hospital. He hasn't checked their condition yet. We also need to follow up on Doc's suggestion, from the previous meeting, of a monitor repair person in Newberry.
- Financial Report:
- Income: $451.76, as follows:
- $261.00 - Admissions, including one donation
- $165.00 - Vendor Table Sales, including one discount
- $ 25.76 - Book Sales
- Expenses: $562.54, as follows:
- $ 28.98 - Newspaper Ads
- $203.00 - Cable TV Ads
- $ 80.56 - Table Rental
- $250.00 - Insurance
- Difference: $-110.78
- Response from the public was generally fair. Several people expressed disappointment at the level of vendor turnout, but one person who had arrived early in the morning came back later after the show was fully underway.
- The Club received valuable exposure to the public through its advertising, as did our commercial vendors.
- Several members of the Penn College Computing Club attended. We had been unaware of their existence, and we look forward to the opportunity to interact with them in the future.
- Our cable ad was given more airtime than we paid for, and was produced inexpensively due to the efforts of Kolb Net Works.
- "Any Event" had to deliver our tables by hand because their truck wouldn't fit up the ramp.
- Suggestions for next year's show:
- John suggests that we distribute surveys at the show for better feedback on what we're doing right and wrong.
- Alan Wilcox suggests that we collect addresses on the door prize tickets so we can send out flyers advertising future events.
- Dylan suggests putting up a banner on the street.
- Kathy wants to get the show planning committee started earlier so they can work closer with vendors to plan a larger show.
- We should look into the possibility of Lou doing a remote broadcast on WKSB.
Notice of Candidates for Club Offices:
- President: John Yarosz wishes to step down. Geoffrey Knauth will consider the post. There appear to be no other candidates.
- Vice-President: Kathy Kolb appears unopposed.
- Treasurer: Dan Yoas has other obligations. John Yarosz is willing to take on the office. There appear to be no other candidates.
- Secretary: Jim Shaffer, Jr. appears unopposed.
Local Computer and Internet News:
|Chat Room||http://www.talkcity.com/chat.cgi?room=Williamsport, Tuesday and Sunday evenings|
|Secretary||Jim Shaffer, Jr., firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mailing List||Send a message to email@example.com with the word subscribe in the subject. (Note: this is an open list for free-ranging local and computer-related discussions. Anyone wishing to subscribe to the newsletter should email Jim or use the comments form on our home page.)|
[Return To Home Page]