Williamsport Area Computer Club
Newsletter & Meeting Minutes
NOTICE: There will be no business meeting in July. Members are invited to gather at Joey's Place, 505 Washington Boulevard, for food and drinks at 7 PM on the 11th.
Our next regular meeting will be held on Tuesday, August 8, at 7 PM, in the JVB Library Technology Branch, 123 East 4th Street, Williamsport. Topic to be announced.
Our last meeting was held on June 13, 2000. Treasurer John Yarosz was not present, but there were several new attendees.
Advertising / Awareness / Public Relations / Home Page:
- Kathy thinks it's time to try putting up posters at local retailers again. She and Jim will work on the design.
- It was also suggested that we try contacting local ISPs about banner ads again. However, the last time we tried this, very few were responsive to it.
- Jim asked Kathy about putting the latest minutes on the home page. She would rather not have everything available there in order to encourage people to come to our meetings to find out about our activities. Jim agreed, but suggested at least providing more recent archives.
Computer Recycling (finding charitable uses for old computers):
- Kathy suggested disposing of our old `286 systems since everyone seems to want modern software which will not run on them and they are taking up a lot of space. There were no objections to the plan.
- Geoff wondered whether we had enough hardware to build a Beowulf system. (This is a parallel-processing network. See www.beowulf.org for more information.) We probably do not, and nobody is sure what we'd do with one if we did.
Computer / Internet News:
After last month's newsletter went out, club member Robert Robbins decided to give a brief talk about his investigations into programming for the Palm Pilot. He reports that Java, C++, and a language very similar to Visual BASIC can be used. Generally, programs are written on a PC and run under a PalmOS emulator for testing purposes, then downloaded to the Palm Pilot. For Java programs, Sun has produced a Java virtual machine named KVM.
|Chat Room||http://www.talkcity.com/chat.cgi?room=Williamsport, Tuesday and Sunday evenings|
|Secretary||Jim Shaffer, Jr., firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mailing List||Send a message to email@example.com with the word subscribe in the subject. (Note: this is an open list for free-ranging local and computer-related discussions. Anyone wishing to subscribe to the newsletter should email Jim or use the comments form on our home page.)|